Photography and Beach Portraits on the Emerald Coast

As a professional photographer in Destin, I know how wonderful it is to live along the NW Florida coast, a place so rich with natural treasures. I can't get enough of the nature, the wildlife, and all the activities associated with the beach lifestyle. I spend a lot of time photographing beach portraits from Ft Walton Beach to Panama City Beach. Each photo, each family picture is special to me.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Nesting time in the Gulf Islands National Seachore



Between Navarre and Pensacola Beach is an area that is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, a National Parks Area that shelters and protects migratory and residential birds and animals. During the nesting time of the year the speed limit drops to 20 mph, strictly enforced. and certain areas are roped off and restricted. These areas contain hundreds of nesting shore birds. Their nests are out in the open located on the sand and beach debris. The babies run everywhere as babies will do. Hence 20 mph, because they run on the roadway also. Last year with the oil spill, the nesting season was disturbed by all the big machinery and activity on the beach. I was anxious to see how this season is progressing and decided to detour through the area on my way to Pensacola Saturday. The birds seem be out in force and I was delighted to see many babies. I took pictures but the ones that showed up the best were the skimmers because of their coloring. The little sandpipers were barely visible in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment